"[Gaga Stigmata has] very modern, edgy photography to free flowing, urban narratives without censure to analytical essays, et cetera—like Gaga, imagination without ... limits. And the beauty is that anyone can submit work to the site, so artists and writers from all over the [world] have joined this experiment." -The Declaration.org

"Since March 2010, [Gaga Stigmata] has churned out the most intense ongoing critical conversation on [Lady Gaga]."
-Yale's The American Scholar

Friday, February 11, 2011

Djaala/Torveeda/Khilii 7 ["A Poison Tree"] & Hélyos 6 ["A Poison Tree"]

by Tommy Mayberry



Djaala/Torveeda/Khilii 7 ["A Poison Tree"], 2010
Conceptual Artist/Model: Tommy Mayberry
Photographic Artist: Tina Weltz, MPA, LPPO
Hair and Make-up Artist: Jessica Barber


Calla Studio
Digital Image
 





Hélyos 6 ["A Poison Tree"], 2010
Conceptual Artist/Model: Tommy Mayberry
Photographic Artist: Tina Weltz, MPA, LPPO
Hair and Make-up Artist: Jessica Barber


Calla Studio
Digital Image



Artist Statement:
To borrow Richard Dyer’s words, I work in the “nexus of authenticity.” I combine concepts of narcissism and celebrity culture as I seek [artistically] to sell myself (in an exploration of the philosophy of conceit and artificiality) as a pseudo-celebrity. Primarily housed out of Calla Studio (www.callastudio.ca), I use myself as the model and work with a team of aesthetic artists (Photographic and Hair and Make-up) to construct the performances and images. My work follows in the vein of Canadian conceptual artists such as David Buchan and General Idea, but it is, at its centre, a hard-on fusion of William Blake and Lady Gaga.

Bio:
As a writer, I am interested in the crossbreeding of creative prose and academic scholarship; as an artist, I am interested in the hybridized space of reality and imagination. I have a Joint Honours BA in English Literature and Fine Arts: Studio Specialization from the University of Waterloo (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada), and I am currently a Graduate student at McMaster University (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) working on my MA in English and Cultural Studies involving a hybrid thesis project (a merging of academic scholarship, creative writing, and studio photography) on William Blake under the supervision of Canadian poet and scholar Dr. Jeffery Donaldson.

2 comments:

  1. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please stop now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.